1. MTNF Security Support Project
2. MTNF Emergency Fund
3. MTNF Youth Skill Development Project (MTNF YSDP)
Working Against Poverty
The MTN Foundation through its Economic Empowerment Portfolio, is determined to help alleviate poverty by empowering Nigerian people through access to micro credit, skills acquisition, employment creation and capacity building.
4. MTNF Rural Telephone Project (MTNF RTP) (in partnership with Growing businesses Foundation (GBF)and the International Finance Corporation (IFC):
The project is designed to empower rural entrepreneurs through the provision of equipment to start their own telephone businesses. This is facilitated through micro-finance loans. The project helps to alleviate poverty and create wealth in those rural communities. Since inception to date over 4,500 beneficiaries have been empowered.
The project provided the following to each beneficiary:
1. Recharge Cards
2. Mobile Phone
3. Yaggi Antenna (Optional)
4. Solar Charger
5. MTN Promotional Materials e.g. Parasol Umbrella, Table, Chair, Banner, T-Shirts and Face Caps
6. One-week training on basic accounting principles, customer service etc
28 States (FCT, Akwa-Ibom, Anambra, Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno,Enugu, Ekiti, Jigawa, Kano, Kaduna, Kwara, Kogi, Niger, Nasarawa, Oyo, Osun, Ondo, Plateau. Ogun , Rivers , Cross River, Taraba, Yobe, Lagos, Imo, Ebonyi & Abia).
entre/photo-gallery/economic-empowerment" title="Economic Empowerment Photos">Click here to view Economic Empowerment Photos
5. MTN Foundation Rural Housing Project (in partnership with Habitat for Humanity International -HFHI)
The project is designed to empower 100 low-income earners by providing them with their own homes, thus contributing to addressing the housing challenges of communities.
Each of the 100 Housing units consists of:
1. 2 bedrooms, a living room toilet/shower and kitchen
3. Good running water
4. Sanitation facilities
Location: New Karu, Nasarawa State.
6. MTNF-Lady Mechanic Initiative (MTNF-LMI)
The initiative which has since been completed, was aimed at rehabilitating and empowering 50 young women by providing them with skills in auto care; a profession that has been traditionally perceived as ‘men only’.
7. MTNF "How-to… Guide” Project (in partnership with Fate Foundation)
To facilitate wealth creation and poverty eradication among Nigerian youth by providing them with small business opportunities and thus provide viable economic empowerment.
The project involved:
Abuja, Kogi, Edo, Rivers, Kano, Borno, Lagos & Enugu.
8. MTNF-Farm Fresh Milk F.L.O.W Project (Fulanis Living Optimally Willingly) Project(in partnership with Integrated Dairy Farm Ltd – Farm Fresh)
Completed in 2009, this project involved providing support to about 150 cattle-rearer families through cross breeding of Friesian bulls with local cows for the production and sale of improved quality and quantity of milk.
The project involved provision of the following:
Location: Plateau, Kaduna & Bauchi States.
9. MTNF-Children's Development Centre (CDC) 'Disability & U' Road Show and Seminar.
This is a sponsorship program aimed at increasing public awareness on physical and mental disabilities through road shows and seminars across Nigeria.
Lagos, Gombe, Oyo, Kwara, Enugu, Cross River, Kano, Kaduna, Imo, Abuja, Jigawa, Plateau, Niger, Sokoto, Ondo, Anambra, Taraba and Zamfara states.
10. MTNF Disability Support Project (MTN DSP) in partnership with Independent Living Programme for Persons with Disabilities (ILP)
The main objective of the project is to improve the quality of life of people living with disabilities through the provision of mobility aid and appliances e.g. wheelchairs, crutches, guide canes, hearing aids, and Braille machines. The mobility aids and appliances would help them move around and carry out day-to-day activities without significant difficulties.
The distribution is to be carried out across the six geo-political zones in Nigeria.
1st Phase - Anambra, Ebonyi, Lagos, Oyo, Benue, Taraba, Adamawa, Kebbi, Zamfara, Delta, Cross River & the FCT
2nd Phase : Abia, Bauchi, Borno, Edo, Enugu, Kano, Katsina, Kogi, Kwara, Ogun, Ondo and Rivers States
3rd Phase (Planned): Niger, Kaduna, Plateau, Sokoto, Gombe, Yobe, Ekiti, Osun, Akwa-Ibom, Bayelsa, Imo and Nasarawa states.
11. MTNF Skill Acquisition Project for People living with Disabilities in partnership with the Friends Of The Disabled(FOTD)
The objective of the project is to empower 45 disabled youths across the country with various skills (tailoring, shoe making & welding) that will enable them successfully set up their own business.
Location: Lagos state.