MTN introduces 3.5G Mobile Broadband, MTN's high-speed mobile data service. MTN 3.5G Mobile Broadband service opens up a whole new dimension of fast and simple working and harnesses the advantages of mobility, taking internet access in Nigeria to a whole new level. It helps you stay connected at almost any time, and makes your business and personal information and entertainment as mobile as you are, when you're working within MTN's coverage areas.
MTN introduces 3.5G Mobile Broadband, MTN’s high-speed mobile data service. MTN 3.5G Mobile Broadband service opens up a whole new dimension of fast and simple working and harnesses the advantages of mobility, taking internet access in Nigeria to a whole new level. It helps you stay connected at almost any time, and makes your business and personal information and entertainment as mobile as you are, when you're working within MTN’s coverage areas.
With 3.5G Broadband MTN customers will benefit from download data speed up to 4-5 times faster than currently available, offering for the first time a mobile experience that can truly be described as broadband.
Where 3G HSDPA coverage is not available, customers will be able to use MTN’s GPRS/EDGE network that already covers most of Nigeria!
Our high speed 3.5G Mobile Broadband service:
- Is available to all our customers, as soon as you join the MTN network
- Is simple and easy to use.
- Gives you broadband speeds without the need for cables
- Lets you access the Internet from your home, office, car, the beach and everywhere you go within MTN’s 3.5G coverage.
How Do I Get It?
All new and existing customers’ MTN SIMs are automatically enabled to enjoy 3.5G Mobile Broadband. So you don’t need to do a SIM Swap! All you need to do is to decide which device you want to access the 3.5G data services on, and which data plan you would like to enjoy.
You can access the MTN 3.5G Mobile broadband service by using your MTN SIM with one of several types of devices of your choice:
- The MTN 3.5G Mobile Broadband (F@stlink E220) USB Modem. Which carries your MTN SIM, and slots into the USB port of your compatible desktop or laptop computer
- The MTN 3.5G Mobile Broadband (F@stlink E630) Data Card which slots into the PCMCIA (PC Card) slot of your laptop/notebook computer, OR
- Using a range of devices including 3G data cards, 3G USB modems, 3G broadband Router, OR
- You can use your 3G/HSPA compatible mobile phone as a modem, OR
- You can connect to the Internet by simply clicking on the browser icon on your 3G/HSPA compatible mobile phone.
MTN 3.5G USB MODEM
The easy-to-use MTN 3.5G USB modem (E220) is a small 3.5G HSDPA enabled portable device which inserts into the USB slot of most major desktops or laptop running compatible Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh. The MTN 3.5G USB Modem offers all MTN customers with desktops and laptops the easiest, fastest, and most convenient way to access the Internet while on the move – at home, in the office, everywhere within MTN Data Services coverage.
MTN 3.5G DATA CARD
The MTN 3.5G Data Card (E630) is a 3.5G HSDPA enabled PCMCIA card type II that fits into compatible laptops and notebooks and acts as a modem to connect you to the Internet via MTN’s 3.5G network.
INSTALLATION & USE
So, simply insert your MTN SIM card into the MTN 3.5G USB Modem or Data Card, and connect it to your laptop or desktop, you can connect to the Internet anywhere you have MTN 3.5G coverage, at broadband speeds. MTN’s 3.5G (HSDPA technology) was built to deliver speeds of up to 3.6 Mbps. For downloads when using the mode within 3.5G coverage, but expect to experience speeds between 400 Kbps and 800 Kbps with peaks of approximately 1.2Mbps. The speed you experience with the MTN 3.5G USB modem or MTN 3.5G Data Card can vary based on the number of current users on the network, the location and availability of the internet site you are trying to access, coverage, environmental conditions, and applications used. Whenever you are not in 3G coverage, the Data Card will move seamlessly onto our extensive GPRS network. Your MTN Branded USB Modem or Data Card are plug-and-play – easy to use, on compatible systems. Just put your SIM in the Modem or Data Card, plug in, and you’ll be up and running in no time following automatic setup.
- Specifically designed for Windows 2000 (SP2 and above), Windows XP, Windows ® Vista;
- Apple Macintosh OSX 10.4 or higher. (New versions of the MAC OSX may require you to perform a software driver upgrade ;
- Memory 128MB RAM recommended
- 50MB minimum of free hard disk space
- PC USB slot – for the MTN 3.5G USB Modem
- PCMCIA Type II slot – for the MTN 3.5G Data Card
- CD ROM disk drive (optional)
MTN F@stlink User Interface
The MTN F@stlink Manager contains a user-friendly Set-up Wizard and user interface that is already loaded your MTN Branded USB or Data Card device. The Set-Up wizard starts up automatically as soon as you plug your device into the appropriate slot of your compatible PC. Note:
Do ensure that you insert a valid MTN SIM, with credit, into the Modem or Data Card before installing the Modem or Data Card.
MTN F@stlink User Interface allows you to:
- Access the Internet via a web browser
- Access, send and receive emails
- Send and receive SMS messages (charged at standard SMS rates)
- Monitor your data usage via the "usage counter"
- Load Airtime and Check Balance (Prepaid SIM)
How Do I Get Started?
You can purchase an MTN 3.5G USB modem or PCMCIA Data Card from any MTN Service Center or Connect Store in your neighborhood.
Table 1: MTN-branded Data Device Prices
|Signal||Peak Speed||Average internet browsing
|GPRS||115 kbps||33 – 35..8kbps|
|EDGE||384 kbps||Not Yet Fully deployed|
|3G||384 kbps||100 - 240kbps|
|3.5G (HSDPA)||3.6 Mbps||800kbps|
Notes:The table above represents the Peak data rates across the MTN network, and also shows the average transfer rate of data when accessing popular internet sites using the MTN Network. It should be noted that the actual speed experienced by the end user could be different from the table above due to other limitations outside of MTN’s control, such as:
- The resource used (e.g device type) being used to access the mobile data service.
- The availability of the server being accessed (internet site, mail server, etc.)
MTN offers you a variety of economical data tariffs to choose from. You may decide to use the MTN Mobile Data service on a Pay-per-use basis (according to your existing tariff plan) basis. You may also choose to buy a Data Bundle/Plan. Either way, you are not charged for the amount of time you spend, but for the amount of data (volume) that you upload or download when using the MTN 3.5G or GPRS Data Service. Data bundles are ideal if you have an idea of how much you want to spend on data as well as how much data you need. These bundles have been designed to reduce the cost of data usage provided you stay within the bundle limits.
Each data bundle has an in-bundle rate and an out-of-bundle rate. You pay a flat fee for all data in-bundle, but as soon as your in-bundle limit for your
subscription type is exceeded, the out-of-bundle rate will apply per MB.
Once you have identified the prepaid bundle plan that best suits you, simply text the migration code for the plan to 131 (see table below) and you will be switched immediately to the bundle plan of your choice and the corresponding migration fee deducted from your account. You will also receive a message on your phone confirming successful migration.
Prepaid Data Plans
|NIGHT||4.5GB||9PM - 6AM (30 Days)||N2,500||102|
|All DAY||4.5GB||24/7 (30 Days)||N6,500||129|
|MONTHLY||7.5GB||24/7 (30 Days)||N8,000||101|
|SMART PHONE||4.5GB||3GB 9PM -6AM(Night) 1.5GB 6.01AM-8.59PM(Day)||N2,500||120|
|Text Respective Activation Codes to 131|
Infinix Hot 2
Introducing the all new Infinx Hot 2 mobile phone! This is the first smartphone to be launched in Africa running on Android One.